Sunday, May 28, 2006

Speak the English please!

There's been a cat fight at the Nail saloon! (here) A Customer claimed to be tired of hearing Spanish,
“Ten years in this country, I never seen anything like this. The lady says ‘Speak English, I don’t want to hear Spanish!’ and big fight happens,” Win told the Herald last night. “There was blood in here and everything. There were a lot of customers in here. It (was) crazy.”

I feel the same way when I walk my kids to school, "Speak the English!" I wish to say. Instead I say as I walk by "Blah, Blah, Blah!" I wish the parents who walk their kids to school would speak in English to get the kids ready for the day of learning English. It would also let the parents learn to speak English too!

One day I was waiting for my daughter to get out of class. Another classroom was walking by. One girl turned to me and said "Hola!" I said to her in English, "Excuse me, but it is 'Hello.' I'm moving my kids to a school that has a higher percentage of English speakers.

I was in line at McDonalds a few months back and the crew behind the counter was talking in Spanish. An older man in front of me turned around and said, "They speak better English in Cancun then here!" I told him I agree! At least in Cancun they have tourists who have big American dollars. I told him money talks and the language it speaks will dominate. So here in America those who pander and encourage Spanish speaking will dominate. Down in Cancun the Tourists dominate the spending so English will be spoken most. Just a theory....

No comments: